Design

Design

Tuesday 25 August 2020

Kids' Bathroom Before & After





It's been awhile... but I'm back with the kids' bathroom reveal.  We've had a few things happen in the last few months... including a move and a wedding, oh and a little thing called a pandemic.  All these things have kept me busy, and I decided to just take a break from posting. (More on our new home coming soon!)   

After 10 years of living with the baby blue counters & baby blue tile in the kids' bathroom, I decided that they just had to go, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome!  The shower is just white tile but this floor and vanity needed a change.  

Here's a little peek at what we had before. 



And here's what it looks like now...






 To save money I decided to just frame out the existing builder mirror.  I had the contractor cut the wood in a circle and then I glued it on with heavy duty concrete/mirror glue.  I'm so happy with the outcome.  This way we didn't damage the wall and have to replace the mirror.  To tie in the wood tones in the mirror, I added baskets in the same tone to the bottom of the vanity.



I lucked out and bought this vanity on sale for around $500.00 at Home Hardware.  Unfortunately, it was the last one.  What a great find!  It is good quality, well made with soft closing doors.  This is a similar one.

(Warning about IKEA vanities:  I tried this IKEA vanity first and after it was all put together (by my son) I realized that there was no room for the plumbing.  The only way to accommodate the plumbing would be to cut through the drawers.  After it was all put together I decided I didn't really like the cabinet anyway... it looked small and not that well made.  The good news is IKEA took it back all assembled and gave us a full refund). 





As you can see, I went with a timeless penny tile in black and white with dark grout.  I absolutely love it!  I couldn't find this pattern so I ended up buying the white sheets of penny tile and then a few black sheets of penny tile.  I then took out six white tiles in the middle of each sheet, and glued the black ones to the mesh to make the pattern.  It was a bit time consuming (and hard on the fingers) but well worth it in the end.  I'm definitely going to use penny tile in our new place.

(A little note about penny tile: you need an experienced tiler to put this in.  If the pattern starts to go off, it will stand out, and you can't fix it without replacing it.)



(All photos are mine taken with my iPhone.)

Like I said, the shower and tub were just in a plain white so we were able to keep them.  Can't believe what a huge difference changing out the flooring and vanity has made.


 SOURCES

Vanity:   Home Hardware
Wood & Light:   Home Depot
Hooks & Basket:   IKEA
Counter:   Reno Depot
Baskets (Under Vanity):  Pier One
  Knobs: Canadian Tire
Tap & Sink:  Home Depot
Plants:  Metro
Towels & Shower Curtain:  HomeSense
Penny Tile:   Ceramic Factory Outlet



No comments:

Post a Comment